Saturday, July 14, 2012

Trip out West Day One: Westward Bound

We rolled out of Bigfork at noon on Friday, June 30th after eating lunch at our local cafe.  After all, why make dirty dishes that need washing before we leave?

Alarik fell asleep right away, at his normal nap time, which is just what we had planned.  He woke up half an hour later; not what we had planned.  We drove several hours to Grand Forks, ND where we met up with Uncle Eric, Auntie Londa and cousins Mack and Eli.  We killed a few hours shopping at Cabela's and eating dinner, then hit the long road at the kids normal bedtime, 7:00 p.m., and planned to have them sleep all night while we drove.  Alarik had other plans.  As long as it was light out, he was awake and watching the scenery.  When it got dark, he watched the lights.  You'd think he'd be wrecked after just a half hour nap all day, but he was happy as a clam.  I took this picture at 11:30 p.m. and he finally fell asleep a short time later.

I slept and Jesse drove until we reached Glasgow, MT at about 2:30 a.m.  We gassed up and traded shifts.  Jesse had driven over 660 miles.  I got behind the wheel, drove three miles, and flattened a mule deer that walked out in front of us.  Luckily the damage to the truck was minimal and it was still 100% drivable.  I guess the silver lining was that the adrenaline from that little encounter kept me wired for the rest of my driving shift!

1 comment:

  1. Ack!! I'm so glad you didn't have big damages! I would've freaked out! Phew :)

    ReplyDelete