Friday, September 13, 2013

The Toad Whisperer

I thought I was in for a rotten evening the other day when Bekah got in the car at the end of the day and said, "Mom, there's something I need to talk to you about and I hope you're not really, really mad."  Turns out all it was was that she had a toad in her backpack.  Good lead-in, Bekah...prep me for the worst and then get away with something minor.  :)  Apparently she and her friends had caught this toad at recess and it had been in her backpack since then.  At least it was in a small plastic container and not just loose and liable to get smooshed in her bag!  Ew!

She asked to set up a habitat for it in her old aquarium and I agreed but said she had to let it go if it started looking sickly or sad. She promptly found another toad in our yard to keep it company.

Alarik has enjoyed "watchin toads" with Bekah.


So far Bekah has taken very good care of them and they seem to be faring well.  She brought them to daycare one day and that caused her to forget her backpack for school.  Oh well.
We set a release date of the end of the weekend because I'm sure they need to start getting ready to hibernate.

No comments:

Post a Comment